When playing roulette, you have a wheel with 37 or 38 numbers (pockets) and a game ball. First, the dealer spins the wheel and throws in a ball for a spin on the outer edge of the wheel in the opposite direction. After several spins the ball falls in one of the pockets, which becomes the winning number. The player who has bet on that number gets a payout. Regardless of the number of players at a given table, each player plays against the house. The win depends not only on the number, but also on the type of bet that contains this number. For easy observation of the game process, almost every table is equipped with a large display, where everyone can see the last 10-20 numbers that fall out.
In online casinos you can find dozens of roulette varieties (3D, mini, without zero, traditional with additional rules, etc.), but there are only three basic types:
- European is the most popular type. It is the classic version, which is worth focusing on for the beginners. The standard roulette rules apply, and it is often allowed to place so-called announced bets. The house edge is 2.7%, and the theoretical return is 97.3% which is more than in most slots.
- French. It is distinguished by the table layout and the use of terminology in French. There is a special rule available that reduces house edge by half, i.e. up to 1.35%. In this case, the game is more profitable for the player, but casino operators may impose additional restrictions.
- American. The key feature is double zero, which increases the house edge to 5.26%. The additional sector also makes it possible to place special types of bets (on double zero). There is usually no track for announced bets. The theoretical return is 94.74%.
Modern online casinos use a huge number of roulette variations. The rules might have small differences, as well as the wheel and table layout. Therefore, it would be beneficial to study rules of the most popular roulette types.
European Roulette Rules
This is the most widespread type of roulette with one zero, mostly played in Europe. The European wheel has 36 numbered spots in red and black and one green zero sector.
Here, one can bet on any number, sequence of numbers or on a color, etc. We will cover all the bet options in more detail later, but in the meantime, please study the special rules of En Prison and La Partage. These rules are interpreted as follows:
- The La Partage rule is used only with even money bets in European roulette. When the zero sector falls out, the players can take back half their bet, which is transferred to the next round. The player is not paid for the win; rather he only receives his bet back.
- Taking into account En Prison, if a zero bet wins in French roulette, the player loses only half the amount on the same bet. There is also another rule that should be specified – Surrender. This is an identical En Prison rule for the French version of roulette, however, used in the game on the American continent.
American Roulette Rules
The American roulette wheel contains two zero sectors, which significantly increases the house edge. In addition, this kind of roulette has few specifics:
- Different wheel layout
- One additional bet for 5 numbers
- No special rules except for the Surrender.
- No announced bets.
- Some changes on the table.
French Roulette Rules
This is a classic version of the roulette game. Other variations are simply its improvements. French roulette has its own features:
- Different playing field layout
- Bets are written in French
- Sectors on the wheel are placed differently
- Announced bets with a special field
- Special rules of En Prison, La Partage.
Bets in Online Roulette
According to the rules, there are several betting options: bet on a single number, group of numbers, several numbers, a column, on color, on even or odd, on a range of numbers. Each bet has its own payout odds. High-risk bets make a lot of money. Frequently winning bets have lower payout odds.
Let’s take a closer look at the calculation of payout:
- Single/straight bet – the player bets on numbers 0 to 36 and also on 00 (double zero) in American roulette. Payout odds are 35:1.
- Split bet – the bet is placed on two adjacent numbers. If lucky, the player gets 17 to 1 payout.
- Street bet – features three numbers in a row, pays 11:1.
- Square/Corner bet – a chip is placed in the center of 4 adjoining numbers. If successful, the player gets 8:1 payout.
- Six line – similar to the street bet, but instead of covering one row of three numbers, you cover two. Payout is 5:1.
- Dozen ( 12 numbers) – this bet covers group of numbers on the playing field and is marked 1st 12, 2nd and 3rd 12. It means the bet is placed on the following dozens 1-12, 13-24, 25-36 respectively. Each dozen pays 2:1.
- Even-money bet (18 numbers) is the lowest earner, pays 1:1. There are several variations: Red/Black, Odd/Even, High/Low (1-18, 19-36).
Before playing roulette, you have to set the required bet value, and then place a certain chip value on the appropriate bet. After that, press the button ‘Spin’ to start the rotation of the roulette wheel. After several spins you see the result. If your guess is right, you will get a payout. Place another bet and try again.
Some online roulettes are equipped with a special function to repeat the bet (Rebet). In this case the player does not need to spend time re-setting the same bet.
It is allowed to combine bets in the game. You can make any combination to increase your odds of winning. The number of bets and the maximum allowed bet value depend only on the terms and conditions of the website where you play. However, it’s better to explore house rules and possible options before you start the game.